After the end of The Infinity Saga that comprises of 23 movies and released in the course of 11 years, Marvel Studios has finally raised curtain over their much discussed, anticipated and talked about Phase 4. Taking at the San Diego Comic-Con panel, Marvel Studios’ chief Kevin Feige announced a slate of films and web series for the Phase 4 of MCU.
While some of the films and web series announced were already out in the open and it was about time Marvel made it official, some announcements surprised the hell out of us. And the announcements were not just about their next slate of films and web series but also when are these much-awaited projects are going to release. Now with Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr) and Captain America (Chris Evans) out of MCU, let’s a take a look at the list of all that Marvel Studios has in store for us.
Black Widow (May 1, 2020)
Even though the movie has been on floors for months now, Marvel Studios finally made it official and what’s more exciting is that Black Widow will not only be the first film of Phase 4 of the MCU, it will also become the first female-led film ever to kick-off the summer box office. Starring Scarlett Johansson, David Harbour, Florence Pugh, O-T Fagbenle, and Rachel Weisz, Black Widow is helmed by Cate Shortland and will take place after the events of Captain America: Civil War, which makes sense considering Black Widow sacrificed herself in order to retrieve Soul Stone in Avengers: Endgame. The movie will have Task Master as the main antagonist and David Harbour will be seen playing Red Guardian. Not just that, the fans can rejoice as they will finally get to know the story behind “what happened in Budapest?” However, whether Jeremy Renner will reprise his role as Hawkeye is still not confirmed.
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier web series (Fall 2020)
- Anthony Mackie is the new Captain America in the MCU and he will take up that mantle in the new web series up for a release in Fall 2020. The Falcon aka Captain America will be joined by the original Cap’s oldest and closest buddy, Bucky aka The Winter Soldier. What’s more interesting is that the show will see the return of Captain America: Civil Warsupervillain Baron Zemo. The web series stars Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan and Daniel Brühl.
Eternals (November 6, 2020)
- Introducing some new characters in the MCU and the new actors or rather stars, Marvel Studios made Eternals official. Starring Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Richard Maden, Kumail Nanjiani among others, Eternals is helmed by Chloé Zhao. Eternals will hit the screens next year on November 6, 2020.
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (February 12, 2021)
- Starring Simu Liu as Marvel’s first Asian leading man, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will also feature Awkwafina and Tony Leung (surprisingly) as the real Mandarin. For those unaware, Sir Ben Kingsley played the imposter Mandarin in Iron Man 3. The movie is helmed by Destin Daniel Cretton and slated for a February 12, 2021 release.
The web series will star Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany. It will focus on Wanda’s life after Avengers: Endgame and how she is coping up with Vision’s death. The movie will also feature Captain Marvel character, Monica Rambeau. The child character from Captain Marvel will appear as an adult in WandaVision and will be played by Teyonah Parris. WandaVision will lead into Doctor Strange 2 titled Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.
Loki web series (Spring 2021)Remember in Avengers: Endgame the 2012 version of Loki had stolen the Space Stone and escaped? Well, the new web series will focus on that version of Loki and what’s he been up to after the events of Avengers: Endgame. Can we see him meeting his brother Thor once again?
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (May 7, 2021)
- Starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Elizabeth Olsen, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness will be connected to WandaVision web series. Director Scott Derrickson, who also helmed Doctor Strange, described it as Marvel Studios’ first scary movie. The movie will hit the screens on May 7, 2021.
What If…? web series (Summer 2021)
- An interesting animated series will focus on the alternate realities that could’ve been in MCU. Jeffrey Wright will voice for the all-seeing Watcher. The web series will feature voiceovers by Michael B. Jordan as Killmonger, Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes, Josh Brolin as Thanos, Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/The Hulk, Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Hayley Atwell as Agent Peggy Carter, Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther, Karen Gillan as Nebula, Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, Paul Rudd as Ant-Man, Michael Douglas as Hank Pym, Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan, Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark, Sean Gunn as Kraglin, Natalie Portman as Jane Foster, Taika Waititi as Korg, Toby Jones as Arnim Zola, Djimon Hounsou as Korath, Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster, and Michael Rooker as Yondu.
- Kevin Feige revealed, “All of those set in stone MCU scenes and experiences you’ve seen before, you will see different versions of them in this.”
- Featuring one of the OG Avengers, Hawkeye web series will be about Clint Barton taking a young protege, the fan favourite comic book character Katie Bishop, under his wings. The theme of the show will be about Hawkeye, a superhero with no superpowers, passing on the mantle and teaching a young protege how to be a superhero with no superpowers.
Thor: Love and Thunder (November 5, 2021)
- The biggest movie of Phase 4 without a doubt, Thor 4 aka Thor: Love and Thunder is an interesting project. The movie will be written and directed by Taika Waititi and will feature Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie and Natalie Portman as Jane Foster/Thor. Yes! Jane Foster will not only return to Thor franchise but will also be seen taking up the mantle of (female) Thor. She will be deemed worthy of lifting Mjolnir, Thor’s hammer. Not just that, Valkyrie will be seen as the LGBTQ character. She told the crowd, “As new king (of Asgard), she needs to find her queen. That will be the first order of business.”
- Apart from the above-mentioned movies and web series, Kevin Feige also gave a tease at Captain Marvel 2, Black Panther 2and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. And also the new Fantastic Four movie as well as X-Men film. Ending the panel, Kevin Feige was heard saying,
- We didn’t even mention that we’re making Black Panther 2 and we didn’t mention that Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is coming. We didn’t even have time to talk about Captain Marvel 2, by the way. I didn’t even have time to talk about the Fantastic Four. And there’s no time left to talk about mutants.